Second Post of the Day
Last Thursday I spotted an odd horse, one that I'd never seen before yet that was familiar - it echoed the California pottery vibe of Kay Finch, Freeman Leidy, and other mid century potteries.
The seller had done their homework and had helpful information on its tag, information that I looked up and verified when I got home.
I'd never heard of Betty Harrington or Balky the Colt but I found them both online, including a listing on eBay for Balky.
Information from that listing included this:
It's time for me to say goodbye to my collection of Ceramic Arts Studio figurines and salt/pepper shakers. These highly collectable pieces were made in Madison Wisconsin from about 1940 to 1955. They are of high quality and were sold in jewelry, gift, and department stores. Sadly, the company went out of business after the post WW II influx of lower priced Japanese ceramics changed the marketplace.
1950 Ceramic Arts Studio Balky colt figurine in brown ceramic
Betty Harrington design
Model # 293
Scarce and hard to find (many did not survive due to their spindly legs)
3.75" high and 3" long
Can be seen (in black color way) on page 108 of the book Ceramic arts studio The Legacy of Betty Harrington (Johnson, Holthaus, and Petzold)
So then I did a search for the book the seller mentioned and found it on Amazon.
Ironically, I had another Ceramic Arts Studio book already on my own Amazon wish list.
I added it last year when I bought two circus ballerinas "shelf sitters" who have been found also sitting on Metlox drafters.
They were not actually made to ride these drafters, but with a little sticky wax, the blue ballerina rides pretty well!
I left Balky behind, but if anyone wants it for cost and shipping, contact me and I'll go back and get it if it's still there. It is in mint condition and an example, albeit an obscure one, of a model horse from the California pottery days.





It's nice to see the seller did their homework on this piece.
ReplyDeleteNothing is more annoying than to see an item for sale that's identified as something else (I'm looking at you eBay!)
Wow, the Balky you found has a much nicer price. Also, I love eBay listings that give lots of details; sometimes that’s the only place to find the information.
ReplyDelete