Second Post of the Day
After closing down the sewing room, I headed downstairs for another project - that of cleaning my English saddle.
When Abby was alive, I used to clean it and my Western saddle periodically in order to keep them in good shape.
But my health started going downhill and then Abby died - it's been several years since I cleaned either of them.
Despite being stored in the tack room, the neglect showed.
My once supple and polished saddle needed cleaning badly.
It was going to be a big job.
I couldn't find my saddle soap in my tack trunk so I ordered more from Amazon.
What a familiar sight and aroma - I've used this brand of saddle soap since I got Amy, my first horse, in 1970.
I began with damp paper towels - removing lots of dust, dirt, and mold just with them. (You can see a difference already.) Then I went back over those areas with the saddle soap, and finally I polished the leather by rubbing it with a soft cloth.
It was a lot of work but gradually the beautiful saddle underneath emerged.
I gave it one last polishing with the soft cloth before setting it aside in the dining room. I'm happy with how much better my saddle looks, but I'd like to repeat the process again before School Days if I get the time.
That's a big "if," but I'll see what I can do.
Stay 'tooned!

Cleaning an English saddle. It brings back such memories and I SO remember the aroma of the saddle soap! It's been 16 years since Schere crossed the Rainbow Bridge and I still have her saddle. And yes, I keep it in the house. LOL
ReplyDeleteOnce a horse girl....
I also need to clean my saddles! There are cleaning products now that can inhibit mold growth which can help when tack is stored and not used. I also like tack wipes for a quick post-ride once over. Do you know what brand saddle you have? It's lovely.
ReplyDelete