Just as I arrived at Lisa's school for our presentations, I got a text from Leslie and Rick. They live in Brookston, a small town north of West Lafayette, and a train was on the tracks and blocking their way!
Due to road construction also going on, seeking an alternative route that didn't take them miles out of their way wasn't an option.
Fortunately the train finally rolled through town and they made it to school with a few minutes to spare.
Lisa and her fellow 4th grade teachers had split their students into three groups, and they rotated through the presentations every twenty minutes. Part of Indiana's 4th grade Social Studies state standards is Indiana's history, and Fort Ouiatenon's story is an important part of that.
Leslie and Rick presented on what a day in the life of an 18th century nine year old would look like.
Lisa had lots of artifacts to share and discuss. The King's Rope is always popular. Made for me by a rope maker at the Feast years ago when I was teaching, it is a rope with a red thread embedded within it. That red thread indicated that the rope belonged to the King and was a way of preventing theft.
I taught the kids a little French, discussed the First Nations found in Indiana in the 18th century, and showed them period clothing. The Bum Rolls, Panniers, and Frances Rump were especially popular. Not really a surprise - they do seem funny to 21st century minds of all ages!
The students in each of my sessions were fantastic and anxious to learn. I love teaching, and while I was tired when I finished, I came home happy. Some days I really, really miss teaching and being with kids all day.
On the docket for today is tent set-up. Curt is meeting Craig and me out at Ouiatenon at 1:30 and will help get it up. I'll stay after they leave and begin arranging things inside. A customer is going to meet me and pick up an order, too.
I won't stay too long. I received a last minute order to sew a chemise and need to finish that plus I am really trying to conserve my energy by breaking things to do into small pieces. Regardless, it will be a busy day.
Before I go, here is a link to a reel from yesterday that takes a look at how the grounds are morphing into an 18th century outpost. Enjoy!
Stay 'tooned!
No comments:
Post a Comment