Thursday, October 30, 2025

Speaking of Dr. Seuss...

Second Post of the Day

I brought a lot of music and art into my classroom when I was teaching. My Masters degree was in using Fine Arts to teach Science and Science to teach Fine Arts.* 

An example would be making Gyotaku, a Japanese art form that originally was used to study marine life before the days of refrigeration.

In my classroom, we also looked at some children's classic literature through the lens of art. Dr. Seuss' Green Eggs and Ham? My students could spend hours examining it. Written as a bet with his publisher, there are only 50 different words, very basic, early reader words at that, in the entire story. And yet, it is the fourth highest best seller for children of all time. (genius.com)

Needless to say, when I saw this posthumously published Dr. Seuss book about art and horses, I snapped it up.


Audrey Geisel found the Horse Museum manuscript and sketches after Theodore Geisel passed away. Illustrator Andrew Joyner studied them both and then fleshed out the sketches for publication, spending hours studying Dr. Seuss' distinctive style.


Throughout the book (76 pages!) other famous Dr. Seuss characters make an appearance or are hinted at.


I used two George Stubbs' paintings when I presented at the Feast's School Days.


One of my favorite paintings, The Horse Fair by Rosa Bonheur, which hangs on the wall in my living room.


I've wondered if the dressage horse, Blue Hors Matine, was named after this painting. (If you've never seen her performance at the World Equestrian Games in Aachen, 2006, go here. Absolutely jaw dropping. I cry every time I watch her.)


See the Seuss character tweak in this illustration? And I like the subtle Caves of Lascaux nod.


At the end of the book is an extensive section with information about each painting plus a history of Dr. Seuss' life and how the manuscript was found and then brought to life.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who loves horses, art, or literature. There is far more in this book than I have shared here. Not only is it fun to read, it's educational, too.

Do a search on Amazon and it will pop right up. As I write, the hardcover is available for $11.76 with free Prime shipping.


* At the University of Illinois in 2004 when I explained what I wanted to study for my Masters degree, I was told that there was no such program that paired teaching Science and Fine Arts. However, the College of Curriculum & Instruction was willing to work with me, and sent me to Dr. Liora Bresler. She was on the faculty in both the College of Curriculum & Instruction and the College of Fine & Applied Arts, and she helped me craft a Masters program in what I wanted to study. I will always be grateful to the University for hearing me out and for Dr. Bresler's support.



1 comment:

  1. What a fascinating post! I have never heard of this book. Equally fascinating is the story of your masters degree.

    ReplyDelete