Last August for my birthday, Cole and Emily gifted me with one of Lego's newest products, a horse. The set also could make a bear or a deer, but I wasn't interested in those - just the horse.
But when I sat down to make it and saw that there were nearly 700 pieces and almost 300 steps to put it together, I was intimidated and set it aside. I'm a Lego beginner and the horse was overwhelming to me.
When Kyle arrived for his Christmas visit, he asked if I needed help with anything around the house. I think I surprised him when I asked him to help me make my horse.
But, he was all in, so one afternoon we sat down together at the dining room table and began.
I was intimidated again as soon as we opened the box and I saw all those pieces. "Open one bag at a time; it'll be all right," he advised. And so I took a deep breath and did.
"This does NOT look like a horse," I commented as we got started.
"Just wait; that's the interior support structure," was Kyle's response.
He was right, it soon began looking more horse-like.
Kyle let me do the work and sat with me ready to answer questions or help me find pieces. He had an app that let me look at each piece and each step in 3D. With it, I could rotate the piece and see how it fit onto the model we were building. That app was really helpful.
It also had a reward "chime" when you finished a series of pieces that had to be put together that made us both laugh.
While I worked on my Lego horse, Kyle put together a smaller kit of the Millennium Falcon.
He was really good about letting me make the horse while acting as support if need be.
Ding! Another reward chime when the head was completed.
Ready to be added to the neck of the horse.
I had to take a break at this point - my eyes needed a rest after all that close work.
Then it was back to work on the legs and tail.
We laughed at this pose - hello, Nashie!
Legs stretched out to the back is one of his favorite positions.
Pepper, Tammo, and Molly never lie like that, but for Nashie it's an all the time thing.
After a couple hours of work, the Lego horse was finished.
We popped the tail on and called it good. There is a base still to be made, but the horse stands well without it, so its pieces are still unassembled and in the box.
I am pleased with how it turned out and already have some ideas for an entry in an Anything Goes class.
Turns out that Pony Pal Kate was working on her own Lego horse, our gift to her for this Christmas.
Unlike me, she's already an experienced Lego makin' gal, so she made her horse by herself.
I had fun, even though the Lego horse was quite an undertaking for me. But the shared experience of making it with Kyle plus having Kate put together her own at the same time has made for a cherished holiday memory.




The Lego horse is cute. My husband made it and the deer and bear that that kit also makes. Good job!
ReplyDelete