Yesterday my friend Jennifer wrote a blog post about Stone Horses having made it to the quarterfinals in Indiana's Chamber of Commerce's 5th annual The Coolest Thing Made in Indiana Tournament.
And that is really cool! Both that Stone Horses are made here in Indiana as well as that they have made it so far in the competition. A win would be very well deserved. (To vote, click the link above.)
As Jennifer noted, there is a lot of corn in Indiana. We are one of the biggest producers of corn in the world.
The soil is excellent for crop production and the corn grows tall. That's Leslie in her maturing corn crop.
A field of corn planted by the tenant farmer on our farm two years ago.
Lesser known is Indiana's soybean production.
To protect one crop from depleting necessary nutrients from the soil, corn and soybeans are alternated every couple of years to allow the soil to rest and recover.
Besides Indiana's farm side, there are other notable things here in the state. For example, Hoosiers are very sports oriented.
I never miss watching the Indianapolis 500! Four time Indy 500 winner Helio Castroneves is my all time favorite driver.
I haven't been to the race in years, but I always catch it online.
Indiana is known as a basketball loving state, so much so that if you drive around and look at wooden barns, you are likely to see a basketball hoop hanging from it.
The old barn is no exception!
Purdue's basketball team is currently 5th in the NCAA rankings.
Players Fletcher Loyer, Trey Kaufman-Renn, and Braden Smith. (Anyone else think that Fletcher Loyer looks like Hermie from Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer? I sure do!)
Other notable universities in the state are Indiana University, Notre Dame, Butler, and Ball State.
Professional sports teams include the Indiana Pacers, the Indianapolis Colts, the Indiana Fever, the Indy Fuel, and the Indy Eleven.
I write a lot about the Feast here on the blog so I won't go into any more detail except to say that it is a very big part of Indiana's culture. Couple that with the Battle of Tippecanoe, also fought here in my home county, and there is a lot of significant state history right in my back yard.
That's just the tip of the iceberg as to what Indiana offers beyond the corn and beans that most people think of. I haven't even mentioned the state and national parks, the museums, or the historical sites beyond Fort Ouiatenon. The "Hoosier hospitality" that is so well known. And more.
I love my home state. Is it any wonder I named a horse after it?
Don't forget to go and vote for my state's coolest business - Stone Horses!
No comments:
Post a Comment