Monday, January 19, 2026

Local History Goes National

It's no secret that I love history, especially the 18th century history of Fort Ouiatenon and the early 19th century history of The Battle of Tippecanoe. When historical events like that happened right where you live, how can you not?

So, when a national entity takes an interest in your local history, too, does some research, and then publishes an article about it, you can't help but smile.

That national entity is Archaeology Magazine and its January/February 2026 issue has a nice article in it about Prophetsown.  


I've written a lot about Prophetsown, the Farm at Prophetstown


and the heirloom apple orchard that was planted there in memory of my family's orchard. 


It's because of Prophetstown that I ended up with Abby. At the time, Leslie was the director of The Farm at Prophetstown and needed to buy some horses for it. I went with her and met Abby. Fortuitous, for sure! 

Prophetstown is just across a field from the Tippecanoe Battlefield. Which makes sense - the battle was between Tecumseh's confederation of Shawnee nations gathered at Prophetstown who crossed that field to do battle with William Henry Harrison and his forces where they were camped on Burnett's Creek. 

Take a look at the article if you have time. That picture of the Circle of Stones? My favorite place in Prophetstown.


It honors the fourteen known nations that were part of Tecumseh's confederation plus a fifteenth stone that honors those who were there but are unknown by name at this time.

I did not know about the earthen burial mound in the park that's mentioned in the article. I'm going to ask Leslie where it is and go visit it when the weather breaks. 

Here's the link to the article if you are interested.

https://archaeology.org/issues/january-february-2026/off-the-grid/prophetstown-indiana/?fbclid=IwY2xjawPYc9pleHRuA2FlbQIxMABicmlkETF1MERPQ01xOUZlU3ZEQmVFc3J0YwZhcHBfaWQQMjIyMDM5MTc4ODIwMDg5MgABHrsVPQhrb4io0b9D2wt99xwp1--LayWYLailxSVt4VpnQRJ5uFiECJ0dXO78_aem_mAch69UOK1NBgciO7ucW7Q

Of course, I am going to have to wait to go see that burial mound. We got more snow again last night, it's windy and blowing that fresh snow all over, and the temps are plummeting.


Tammo looked at me as though I were crazy when I opened the door for him to go outside this morning. Finally, he scooted around the protected side of the house, and then came running back. Pepper was more stoic but she went fast, too. 

Can't say I blame them. And I sure wish I could provide them with a tiny room like mine! LOL

Stay warm, all!



No comments:

Post a Comment