When I began writing about the dogs in my collection earlier this week, I never thought I would end up writing so many posts about them. It's been fun poking through my collection and looking at pieces that are often overlooked within a much larger horse collection.
There are my bigger (i.e. non mini) dogs.
Chinas
Isn't this Lefton Spaniel beautiful? I found him at a local antique mart and got him for $2.
A Japan Beagle - it has the breed sticker but nothing else. I think he's a Lefton, too.
A Disney version of Perdita from The 101 Dalmatians - these were sold as souvenirs at Disneyland.
Pongo, her mate, another Disney souvenir. (Paint that piece yellow and you have Tammo!)
Hard to believe that the tail is still intact and unbroken on this beautiful Japan Bassett Hound. The picture does not do him justice - he is so handsome. Probably a Lefton.
Sometimes my sister Leslie gives me pieces that she knows I'd appreciate having. This Lefton black Lab is from her childhood collection; when Pepper arrived, she gifted it to me.
A Lefton German Shepherd. He's either packed away or I sold him.
This Goebel Springer Spaniel puppy has the oddest head - it's too big for him and it looks like he is grinning. He reminds me of Falkor who Attreyu rides in the film, The Never Ending Story.
A Lefton with a "Cave City, KY" painted in red on its back,
And a sitting Springer with average detail but by Lefton as well.
Plastic Dogs
Ever held a Breyer Poodle? They are surprisingly heavy. I'm also curious about the very short nose on this piece.
The Poodle in my life, Gus, has a longer, more pointed nose. He's a registered Poodle and was used for breeding before he was retired, neutered, and came to live with Curt and Vanessa. Has the breed changed that much over time?
Life's a Journey, from BreyerFest, 2025. I love the blue merle color.
An early Saint Bernard that was in great shape and priced very low so home with me he came.
Breyer's Boxer is very common and I find them frequently - enough so that I quite buying them after I had five on my shelves.
Look at the dark carmel color on the one on the right! He's beautiful!
Another Breyer dog that I find a lot is Jolly Cholly. Like my Goebel "Falkor," he's got an oversized head.
Most likely an after-market piece, finding an American Interinsurance Exchange Jolly Cholly is not too difficult. At least not here, but I live within the two hour radius of the original Breyer factory, and a lot of oddities and escapees are found within that radius.
I have two of them in my collection, both with the red eyes.
There is debate in the hobby as to whether or not this is a woodgrain coloring or if it is just a plain brown. I lean towards the brown - why would Breyer omit the woodgrain striping if it was supposed to be a woodgrain?
Benji and Tiffany are no longer in my collection. I found Tiffani for 40 cents at a thrift shop and bought Benji from a friend. But I did not care for either dog and sold them together as a pair.
The Breyer black Lab is out of its package and on my shelves and I have a Collecta Springer in with my dolls and props, but that's the end of my collection of dogs.
Stay 'tooned!












Gus is SO intent on that tennis ball! You can just see him waiting for it to move or hoping someone will toss it.
ReplyDeleteDog (and cats) seem to be such good companion pieces to a model horse collection. I do so love the Breyer companion animals.
This has indeed been a surprise. I've seen your collection but also had no idea there were that many dogs! I had a china German Shepherd pass through my hands, not unlike your Lefton but very detailed and without the splay hind foot. There are some gorgeous chinas in the world; sometimes I regret not collecting them.
ReplyDeleteI have the Disney Pongo & Perdita, too, in both the tall (9 inch) and smaller (5 inch) sizes. In the large size I have the puppies, but I can’t remember how many — certainly not 99! They’re all packed away in the guest room closet.
ReplyDelete