Tuesday, January 27, 2026

Collections Within My Collection: Resins (Part 2)

A very, very special section of my resin collection is the Kathleen Moody section. And there's an interesting story behind that collection, too.

Kathleen is my favorite Breyer sculptor. When her resins were first being introduced, oh, how I wanted a Palomar Elite!

She is also a long time friend. We have much in common - we love horses, we have big families, and we share the same religion. With those in common, we became good friends way back in the Haynet days of the hobby.  

I was just returning to work after sixteen years of being home with my children. Money was tight, tight, tight. The mama of eight children herself, Kathleen understands how tight a budget for a big family can be and that often there simply is no room in it for extras.

Like resin models.

One day, an unexpected box from Kathleen arrived at my house. Curious, I opened it. And my jaw dropped at what was inside.

Inside were some of her resins, and they were all gifts  for me. I didn't ask for them. I'd never told that her my dream was to some day own her Palomar Elite. That I thought her Magnificence was, well, magnificent. 

Well, guess what was in that box:


Palomar Elite II. It arrived unpainted and so I sent it out to Janis Whitcomb for painting.


My dream resin. It was now in my collection. (And still is.)


Kathleen also gave me Magnificence, one of her signature, most loved sculpts! If I remember right, Kathleen told me this was an extra blank she happened to have. 


Janis Whitcomb worked her magic on this piece, too. I love that bright chestnut color so much.


 I believe this Arabian came from her personal collection. It's a customized On Broadway. If I remember right, Kathleen is the one who customized it.


Quite a box to receive in the mail, right?  I will always be grateful to Kathleen for her generosity.

But she wasn't done. Earlier I mentioned Haynet, one of the old Yahoo groups back in the early days of the internet. 

I started a very small Yahoo group for friends that, like Kathleen, shared my passion for horses, kids, and religion. There were eight or ten of us and we had a lot of fun chatting.

It's a long story but in 2001, Kathleen told us she wanted to make a special sculpt for our group. We had fun discussing ideas and offering suggestions for the horse that she was going to sculpt  - not only our own special run, but our own sculpt!


That model became her Rockwell resin. And once again, Kathleen's generous side surfaced and she sent a Rockwell blank to all the members of our group.


Once again, Janis Whitcomb painted my piece for me in a gorgeous blue roan.


So many fond memories of getting the chance to collaborate with Kathleen and other friends on creating a model and having it come to fruition.

There's one more Moody resin in my collection, but it is much more recent than the other pieces. Kathleen's style is distinctive and I can recognize her work even when she is not listed as the artist.

I was looking at a catalogue for Trail of the Painted Ponies and this Fjord caught my eye. I knew immediately who had sculpted him. Looking him up showed that I was correct.


I've named him Afjordable and keep him on one of the model shelves in my horse room.

That all the resins I have (although you never know when you open a box in the back of the closet...) It's not a big section of my collection, but it's loved.

I hope you enjoyed looking at it with me  - I sure did!





3 comments:

  1. Your Magnificence is truly magnificent! If you are talking about the original Haynet, it was started in 1990 as a mailing list and pre-dated consumer access to the internet! Yahoo groups came along 10 years later. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only Breyerfest I've ever done was 2021 (it was virtual) and the live meet and greet with Kathleen Moody was one I'll never forget.
    I even made myself a note to keep that she was "down to earth and approachable". How wonderful that you can actually call her a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is one of my fave sculptors, too- and the stablemate Palomar is my all time favorite.

    ReplyDelete