Second Post of the Day
January. My least favorite month. Winter settles in and I mostly stay indoors rather than brave the cold and icy weather.
It's actually, though, my favorite month to put out models on the open shelf I keep just for that purpose. (Although if I keep buying models like I did in 2025, I may lose that luxury.)
I really love that bright blue that Breyer has been using recently. Add in a clearware Jol and a silver filigree Killington, and I'm happy.
St. Moritz, Christoff,
and Neva are displayed on the coffee tables on the overlook. Since we spend most of the day upstairs (Craig working in his library, and me in the sewing room or my office) they are a small but enjoyable reminder of January, a reminder that makes me smile instead of shiver.
(I really like that midnight blue on Neva.)
January is generally a time when Indiana gets its lowest temperatures.
And although taking the dogs out early in the mornings of January can take some steeled nerves,
it is also a time of some of the most beautiful sunrises of the year. (If you can stay outside long enough to catch them!)
Due to the repeated freezing and thawing of the soil during this month,
I often find evidence that the ground has shifted right under my feet.
After a warm up into the 60s greened up the grass briefly,
a flash freeze to near zero left interesting ice patterns on the lake in our neighborhood park.
Despite some of the beauty of January, I am ready for it to be done. Not that I am fond of February (although I do like the excuse to eat chocolate around Valentine's Day.) I'm already looking forward to March and while March brings quite a few weather tempests in and of itself, at least you know that winter is just about done.
March is also time for The Kalamazoo Living History Event, and already I am in the sewing room and preparing for that.
I just finished this boy's trade shirt made from remnants that I would normally sell.
Rather than put sleeve buttons in it, I used bone buttons - I think kids would be more comfortable with them.
I have two adult trade shirts and four chemises cut out and prepped, so I plan to settle into the sewing room this week and build up my inventory.
I'll be warm, surrounded by dogs, Craig in the next room, and doing something I enjoy.
Perfect for January.





Those blue and silver models make for a beautiful winter display. Sewing while surrounded by your models seems like a nice way to spend cold January.
ReplyDeleteLove the shelf-for-a-month concept! My eye leaps at the dark blue Fjord pony + Killington and = a Copenhagen Fighter. Optical illusion.
ReplyDeleteI also have been buying rather heavily for me.