As I thought about different ways to carry my chinas back and forth, L. LaRose came to mind. She has an outstanding china collection and collects blue ribbons and championships by the handful. I knew she used flat, underbed-style tubs to transport her collection, and wondered if she might take a picture of one to give me some ideas. So I messaged her on Facebook and asked.
Well, not only was she agreeable to that, she sent me extensive directions and tips on how to make my own tubs that would better protect my chinas!
My other hobby is sewing, so I had the tools on hand needed for the job - scissors, a rotary cutter, and a quilting ruler.
Instead of foam, L. told me that she preferred a type of soft poly-cotton batting that is used to make crib bumpers for babies to line the tubs. I found that online and had it sent for same-day pickup at my local JoAnn's.The first tubs that I bought proved to be too unwieldy at 60" long, so I returned them and bought these much smaller ones. They will hold less, but will be much more maneuverable for transporting to and from the car and into show halls.
Using the rotary cutter, I cut the batting so that it would line the bottoms of the tubs but also line the sides as well.
When I had finished, I sent L. a message thanking her for her help. She responded quickly.
That last line in her response is one of the reasons I love this hobby. My experience is that it is a friendly hobby, even when we are competing against one another at shows. L. LaRose didn't mind helping someone who might be competition at future shows. Instead, she reached out to help. That, to me, is our hobby at its finest.
Thanks, L.!

No comments:
Post a Comment