Wednesday, July 25, 2018

The Culprit?

When I got Abby from Indiana Horse Rescue in 2012, she had a pretty blonde mane. It was a typical Appaloosa mane in that it was short, but it was pretty and it was THERE.

About a year later, it had disappeared. Since Tim's pastures are so large and well maintained, I knew she was not rubbing it off as she put her head under the fence to get at grass on the other side. I figured one of the other horses was nibbling it. (Although why she is targeted and no one else is is a mystery.)

The whole herd came up yesterday to say hello, and so I decided to take a selfie. I wasn't very successful in getting them all into the frame, but I did notice this when I looked at the photos.
 Diablo sure was interested in my hair.
 And she is Abby's best friend so they spend a lot of time together. 
Goodness! My girl barely has a forelock left! 

I really think, though, that it is actually Hokey who nibbles her mane. I have seen them mutually groom each other and he has gone for Abby's mane while doing so. But Diablo certainly is a suspect.

While I would love for her to have her pretty mane intact, in the grand scheme of things it isn't important. She is in a  good place, healthy, and happy. Who could ask for more?

No comments:

Post a Comment