Sunday, July 8, 2018

How Many?? A Circus Pony Update

I posted that I have twenty five to thirty circus ponies a post or two ago. Well, today I took a break from working on the computer in my office and decided to do a head count and see just how many I really had. I included things like Breyer's Corky and Bimbo set (which is specifically circus-themed, but did not include Breyer's elephant otherwise) as well as the Hagen Renaker circus dogs and elephants along with Shiken knock-offs of Hagen Renaker's circus animals.

I actually have forty plus pieces.
 My German Steha, one of my most prized circus ponies.
 A Shiken knock-off of the Head Up Hagen Renaker.
The only Irish Dresden circus pony that I have ever seen (and many thanks to Susan Young for sending me the eBay link to this piece!)
Japan circus seals with juggling balls.
 A Stablemate BreyerFest special run.
Breyer's porcelain circus horses in golden palomino, another BreyerFest special run. I have the original pair in white, too.
 Breyer's Corky and Bimbo!
 The large Metlox circus horse from Karen Grimm's collection and Clinky Mayhem.
 The same Metlox piece only in dark palomino. (Thanks to Teresa Rogers for snagging them for me!)
 Hagen Renaker performing elephants...
 ... and performing dogs.
Hagen Renaker's first circus ponies (I also have the later versions in blue, yellow, maroon, and green.)
 Some count the Hagen Renaker camels in fezes as circus animals. I am one of those who does.
 An early Hagen Renaker cartoony baby elephant (a gift from Yvonne Rott who knows I love circus animals and gifted me with her extra one.)
Animal Artistry is represented both in mini resin, my new classic sized resin, and the rearing one as a mini in bone china.
A resin souvenir from Ringling Brothers Barnum and Bailey circus. (Odd connection: P.T. Barnum is a family member of my husband's. In addition,  Craig's cousin, a former classmate of mine, was a clown in that circus for years.)
 A lovely (and very heavy) Freeman-Leidy from the 1940s.
The head up counterpart in purple...
 ... and pink. 
 I even have the circus wagon that came with them!
 My Germany Preiser ponies in 1:87 scale. These were actually produced for train aficionados.
Two oddities that I discovered on Etsy. Their scale is about comparable to Mini Whinnies. I have no idea who made them or for what purpose.
Not counted as part of my circus pony collection are these bridle rosettes but boy, do I love them!

Also not part of the collection, but my favorite circus pony of all, O'Boy!
O'Boy was the circus pony my grandfather, Robert Martin, bought as a surprise for my father when he was a boy. The name O'Boy was chosen because that is what my father said when presented with his new pony. (Go here to read the story.)

So, forty plus and counting. It will be fun to check again in a year or so and see what I have added. (Note that I didn't say anything about selling even though I am paring things down!)

No comments:

Post a Comment