Saturday, February 22, 2020

NaMoPaiMo: Beginning Detail Work

I finally checked off Sultanna's coat as finished - as someone said on the NaMoPaiMo Facebook site, sometimes we keep tweaking and fiddling when we are actually done and can move on.
Now it was time for detail work.
 I'd gone to Hobby Lobby and found a fan brush to use in shading Sultanna's mane and tail.
I mixed two parts Titan Buff and one part Burnt Sienna for the shading along with a little water to thin it. I also used that color on her hooves.
The previous day, I had watched several tutorials on how to paint eyes. I started by painting them white (and added Sultanna's star while I was using the color.)
I mixed Carbon Black and Phthalo Blue for her eyes.
The picture doesn't show it well, but I like how her eyes turned out. The tutorials also had a brown pupil in the middle, so I am not done with them yet.
I am not happy with how the muzzle turned out. I was going for a very soft grey as I did not want a stark contrast. 
 I'd mixed Titanium White with just a smidge of Carbon Black; today I will mix Titan Buff with the Carbon black and put on another layer.
 The hooves look a little too pink to me, so I will paint another layer using a mix of Titan Buff and less Burnt Sienna than I used last time.
I am determined to do my best, so I will be painting her chestnuts and frogs, too.

I have less than a week to finish her, but I am confident that I will.


1 comment:

  1. Congrats!! Great post -- and thanks for a reminder about chestnuts. I almost forgot. (And I found out how to comment now, yay!)

    ReplyDelete