After talking to my mentors, I decided to try using an iridescent white base coat, hoping to achieve a luminous quality to the layers I put on top of that. (Sort of like a Breyer chalky.)
First I put some paint on one of the practice models so that I could see what it looked like and to get the feel of brushing it on. When I was comfortable, I started in on Sultanna. I worked on her belly first and then the bottoms of her feet, up the legs, to the back and tail, and finally up the neck, the mane, and the head.
I tried using my phone camera to help me see if I had gotten everything under her head. Good idea, but it didn't work very well. She is just too small. (Maybe it would work on a traditional sized piece.)
I discovered that the center of my palette was just the right size to for her to stand, both for painting and to let her dry. Then, using the brush, I scooped up the leftover paint (it has not been thinned) and returned it to the bottle.
I'll let her dry overnight and plan tomorrow to begin putting thin layers of the next color on her.
No comments:
Post a Comment