Wednesday, February 19, 2020

NaMoPaiMo - The Ugly Stage Can Be the Excuse Stage

I have ten days to paint if I want to complete Sultanna by February 29, the ending deadline for NaMoPaiMo. And I do want to finish her by then. But I think that I may be procrastinating.
 I finally took the plunge and began shading her body color.
I mixed two parts Yellow Oxide to one part Titan Buff and got a nice subtle color that was a smidge darker than the coat color, and did an initial shading.
The light in my horse room, no matter how I shine it or the lamps that I bring in, is not what I'd like, but you can see the shading in the above photo. I like that it looks subtle and barely there. (I still need to do the lighter highlighting.)
 My detail brushes arrived and are ready for her eyes, hooves, and white markings.
I made a goof when buying a set of fan brushes for the mane and tail. These are way too big for a Stablemate! (I had a good laugh over that.)
For my twelfth painting session, I painted another layer of Titan Buff on Sultanna's mane, tail, socks, and hooves, covering some of the coat color that had gotten where it I didn't want it.
The mane is now the color I was working for; next I want to add some shading to it for a more realistic look. I'll stop by Hobby Lobby or Michaels today after I meet a friend for lunch and see if I can get a TINY fan brush for that step. (I am still smiling about those big brushes!)

But despite all the progress, I have been putting off the more difficult steps, the detail work that will bring Sultanna to life. The reason?  That detail work will also show me where I am as an artist. I am a beginner, no doubt about that, but can I really paint a model? Can I make it look lifelike, at least a little bit? I am not expecting perfection of myself, but I do want Sultanna to look nice.

And therein lies my hesitation. The ugly stage is also the excuse stage - "Well, it's still a work in progress so yes, we are in the ugly stage!" But getting beyond the ugly stage is when you find out if you can achieve what you'd hoped - a realistic looking model.

I have ten days to push myself out of the ugly/excuse stage and move forward. Wish me luck.



No comments:

Post a Comment