Saturday, April 24, 2021

Circus Time: Cybis Poppy

Cybis was a company with a long and interesting history. It closed for good in 2019, and over the course of its lifetime produced high quality porcelain figurines, both human and animal. During the 1970s, Cybis did a collection called Cybis Goes to the Circus.

One of the offerings in that collection was Poppy, the Performing Pony.


Poppy is beautifully done. Instead of the bright, almost garish colors used for the other pieces in the series, Poppy's colors are soft pink, turquoise, and gold.


She really is lovely. I like the bowing pose that she is in, too.

 
The view of the piece from above. Such beautiful detail on her harness.


Poppy was introduced in 1976 and closed in 1979 as a limited edition of 1000. Originally she sold for $325. (I got mine on eBay a few years ago for far less than that.)

The Cybis circus series had one more horse in it, and it is an absolute stunner. Called "Equestrienne Extraordinaire," originally it was to be a run of 500, but due to production difficulties, only about 150 were produced.

Photo from Google Images.

Equestrienne Extraordinaire was available 1979-1981 with a retail price of $2775 - $2995. I doubt that I will ever find one, and if I do, it will be above my budget limit. Still, a girl can dream, right?

Tomorrow, we'll take a look at some California pottery pieces.

Prepare to be amazed!



1 comment:

  1. I'm saddened to learn that Cybis is out of business; but amazed they lasted as long as they did. I love this pony!!

    ReplyDelete