Sunday, April 18, 2021

My New Project: The Misty of Chincoteague Foundation

Last month while talking about my signed models, I mentioned that I had begun working on a project with Peter Stone. I wasn't able to say too much at the time as things were still unfolding then, but I can now. I have been asked to serve as a board member for The Misty Of Chincoteague Foundation

The Misty of Chincoteague Foundation was founded in 1990 by Marguerite Henry, Peter Stone, and some others who wished to promote literacy, writing, and the conservation of Misty's homeland on Chincoteague island. 

Marguerite Henry with Misty. (Photo from Google Images.)

My friend Liz Cory is president of The Misty Foundation and has been on the board since its inception. The board had recently lost a member and she called me and asked if I might be interested in serving. As I thought about it, I ran down the following check list in my mind:

Horses?  ✔

Literacy? ✔

Children?  ✔

Preserving where Misty had lived and supporting the preservation of the pony culture on Chincoteague and Assateague Islands?  ✔

Absolutely, I was interested in serving!

The board voted me in and has asked me to serve as secretary. I'm also on a couple of committees and one of my roles is to provide the perspective of a teacher as we work to promote and support literacy in schools.


I am still getting familiar with the foundation and its mission, and have met all the members of the board. (Truth be told, when I began getting emails from Peter Stone, I told Craig I wasn't sure if I could get used to seeing his name pop up in my inbox. Definitely a fan girl moment the first time or two it happened.) 

My first meeting as a board member was yesterday and I found the other directors to be warm, welcoming, and passionate about things that mean a lot to me - kids, horses, and literacy.

I am really excited to be able to serve.




3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your wonderful news!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Very exciting stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's neat! Congratulations!

    King of the Wind was my favorite. I still remember reading it for the first time and feeling the shock when I realized Agba couldn't speak.

    ReplyDelete