Saturday, September 4, 2021

18th Century Riding Habits - Progress

More than once I've questioned my judgment in thinking that I could make two (TWO!!) 18th century riding habits in just a couple of months, but fingers crossed, I just may make my deadline of October 1. (I have a back-up plan if I don't.)


The waistcoat for the teal habit only needs trim, buttonholes, and buttons,


jacket linings for both habits are done, 


and the maroon jacket is constructed. I just need to add the collar and cuffs and then attach the lining. (And all the trim, buttons, and buttonholes.)


Hemming is still needed on the petticoats but that is an easy step and one I can do in an hour or so.

The roadblock that I am hitting now is the trims - the buttons, buttonholes, braid, and other accent items that need to be added.


Each habit needs about 18 buttons and those buttons need to match the trim. That is proving tougher than I'd anticipated. Not just any button will do - they have to be the kind of button that would've been used during the 18th century.


My sister has loaned me several of her habits to use as models or to look at when I am not quite sure how the pieces should fit together. That has been a tremendous help in this project, especially when it comes to the trimmings.


I liked the silver trim on her blue habit so much that I decided to use silver for mine. (The maroon habit is for me.)


Having said that, though, progress has come to a crashing halt because I have to put the trim on the pocket flaps and cuffs before attaching them to the jacket. And, just as I did with the pearl snaps the first time I made Cambria and Titan's vintage western shirts, I keep delaying this step.


It's a final one, and if I don't like how I attached the trim, then I will need to remake those pieces before proceeding or else use them despite the fact that I don't like them. Neither option is appealing and so I keep putting off those steps.


As for the back-up plan, I have other period clothing that I can wear if need be. But truth be told, I really want to let my clothing reflect my horsey side at the Feast.

Tick! Tick! Tick! Tick!






No comments:

Post a Comment