Leslie and I began collecting back in the 1960s. We started with what we called "glass horses," which were actually Japan chinas. They were far more affordable than Breyers, but the down side, of course, was that they broke easily.
Our dad would pull out the shop glue and repair the broken "glass horse" and we'd go back to playing. (And breaking.)
Cheaper Breyer-sized plastic horses were added after the breakage became too much and then I "graduated" to Breyers when I was 10 and to Hagen Renakers at 15.
After high school, Leslie gave me her collection and I have most of it tucked away in boxes. Those carpet herd pieces are special, beat up and glued through they may be.
Several pieces remain out on display: a glossy palomino Breyer 5 Gaiter, a Hartland ebony woodcut Thoroughbred Mare & Foal set, and Old Maude, a Japan china named after the Percheron mare that our mother's Aunt Clara used to work the fields on her farm.
I show the Hartland set in Collectibility classes where it does well - it is a hard to find set, and it is in excellent shape. (Felt pads are still on the hooves!)
As I'd expected, she didn't win a ribbon but that didn't matter. Clearly Leslie was over the moon to see Old Maude again and I was thrilled to be "playing glass horses" with my sister once more.
I gave Leslie the ribbons her carpet herd had won and offered to give her back her horses, but she wanted them to stay with me. She'd had so much fun, Leslie even posted about it on her Facebook page.
On the way home, Leslie asked when the next show was and if she could come with me again.
You sure can, Sis! And maybe we can play Circus Girls sometime soon, too!





I love this <3
ReplyDeleteI come to your blog for the horse tales, and as a fan of all things Christmas, I love that ornament tree decoration on the coffee table!
ReplyDeleteYou and Leslie are once again making more horse related memories.
ReplyDeleteHow extremely special!