Friday, September 3, 2021

Blogging is Hard

Jennifer Buxton of Braymere Custom Saddlery recently put her blog on hiatus. Jennifer has several very valid reasons for her decision, one of which was the title of one of her last blog posts - blogging is hard.

She is absolutely right - blogging is hard. Especially when, like Jennifer, Anne Field, or me, your goal is to post something every day.

Coming up with topics is part of what makes blogging hard. My solution? I keep a file of ideas on my desktop

as well as several handwritten lists of things I might want to write about. Writer's block is real, and these lists have rescued me more than once when I could not think of a thing to write about for the day's post.

Another thing that makes blogging hard is finding the time to write. Family, work, and other obligations can make it so you have to squeeze in writing time. Since I'm an early riser, often my posts are written at 5:00 in the morning. Any photos I take suffer from the poor light quality at that hour, but it is what it is.

So, what are my plans are when it comes to blogging? Will I keep writing and sharing about the pony pals and cowpokes, my collection, Abby, and horsey sewing projects? (A progress picture of the jacket of one of the 18th century riding habits.)

My plan is to continue writing. I enjoy writing, and as I said, Horsiemama (and its counterpart, Teachinmama) function as my journal. Yes, it's hard, but I am retired and have fewer demands and obligations on my time than many people.

I hope Jennifer will bring her blog out of hiatus. I hope Anne continues to write about her dolls, family, and work as an educator. Both are amazing women and I love the glimpses into their lives that they have shared over the years with their readers.

But I also understand if they make a different decision.

Because blogging is hard.




4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this! I was wondering about Jennifer's blog - I so very much enjoy reading both hers and yours (Even if it's only to share pictures about Abby or models in your collection!). :) Thank you for sharing here - and know that it is enjoyed thoroughly!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your blog, trust me it's enjoyed

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to reading your blog and I'm amazed that you post daily. Blogging must truly be a labor of love for all the time and effort involved. Major THANK YOU to you for doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm the worst at leaving comments but I do love reading your blog. Thanks for sharing your photos and stories with us! :)

    And thank you for sharing about Jennifer's blog. I'm no longer on Facebook and can't access some pages without an account, so I wasn't sure what was going on.

    ReplyDelete