Tuesday, July 14, 2026

Retro Post: Meltdown!

Continuing the "Lynn doesn't have time to write" theme...

Originally posted in Teachinmama, my other journal/blog, on August 11, 2012, this is the story of how my successful Children's Classics Project was threatened by state mandates that provided a cookie cutter grade level curriculum to all teachers across Indiana. 

Teachers were expected to use to use it regardless of where their kiddos really were able to read, be it higher than grade level or lower. There was no individualization for each student's needs, we were expected to just open those books and teach. And our test scores had better be successful come next Spring.


Meltdown! Originally posted August 11, 2012

I had a meltdown today. In my classroom. I was surprised, I was angry, I was dismayed, I was frustrated, I was overwhelmed... And so I lost it.

The meltdown was rooted in several years' worth of frustration with the state's continually making changes in what teachers are to teach, raising the bar without providing help or support, and at times making teachers wonder why they even bothered to try.

I didn't shout or yell, nor did I stomp around. I simply stood still for a while, looking at my room, and then I started sniffling. I grabbed a tissue box, sat down at my desk, and I cried.

Just a few days ago, I'd left my classroom for the day in good shape, nearly ready for the start of school.  When I returned this morning, boxes were stacked all over the desks, stacks of books were piled on tables, and it was a mess.

I can fix a mess. I'm pretty good at organizing and sorting. But it was what was IN those boxes that upset me so.

Despite the fact that every one of my students passed the ISTEP, and all but two of them received the highest score of Pass Plus, the state says I have to teach grade level reading.

My kiddos are NOT on grade level when they read! They're GIFTED. Many read and comprehend at the high school level, and a few assess at the college level!

But they now have reading books with text like this:
Instead of reading material (especially children's classics) that are on their level and are good literature to boot like this:

Look at the difference! Tom Sawyer, quality literature, versus a book that is a THIRD GRADE level and just drivel. (Why is a third grade leveled book in the 4th grade materials??)

But as I examined my new books, my heart sank even further. And then I got mad. Why do I need a set of books for 4th graders who are reading below grade level?


Or a set for English Language Learners? 

Those I could see if I had any ELL students, but I am starting my seventh year of teaching gifted students and I have not had one yet!

Since I teach a two year curriculum, I received two grades' worth of books. That's double the amount of books the other teachers received.

 Which means I received a set of below-level books for my 5th graders. Again, why??

What a waste of money! And where was I going to store all those books? I have a tough time as it is storing the books I already have for my two year curriculum.

(And now I know why my friend, Kim, another GT teacher for TSC, called me earlier this week after she received her books. She, too, had flipped out over what was in her boxes and was upset at what a step down this new reading series represented for her students.)

I knew my principal was in the building, so I decided to talk to her. Linda was wonderful and very sympathetic to my plight. She had already given me permission to continue doing what I've been doing as long as I followed the scope and sequence of this new series.

She listened as I shared my frustration and reasons as to why I was so appalled at being told to use a reading series so far below my students' levels.  Even better, she agreed with me that this series is not what my students need. Linda is going to find a place to store my books, while I've kept the kids' textbooks and the teacher's editions along with a few books that show the scope and sequence of the series.

I was able to find room on some of the shelves for what I'd kept. (There are more books than it looks - I tucked books behind books!)
The rest of the useless books are heading into storage Monday.

Good riddance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment