Sunday, January 22, 2023

BreyerFest 2023 Models

Breyer has been revealing the BreyerFest models at a fast pace the past couple of weeks. There are some that have piqued my interest and others that are easy passes for me. I thought I'd share some of of my thoughts about them.


I really like Nemea and think he would be a great companion for the past BreyerFest model, Pharaoh, a 2008 tent special.


But Nemea is sooooo long he would have to be put at an angle on my shelves (that's why they call these models shelf eaters!) plus I do not really care for the mold. Having said that, I will probably get one - that paint job is really neat.


Vintage molds Lady Phase and the Standing Stock Horse Foal are probable purchases - Appaloosas are my favorite breed and vintage models are the heart of my collection. But, I never have liked that foal in any iteration he's been released in. I don't split up mare and foal sets, so I'll be clearing space on my shelves for him, too.



Except for the eyes, Via Lattea is an identical twin to my much loved gelding, St. Nicholas.


(That wheelbarrow I'm in was used only to haul hay; I'm not sitting in you-know-what!)


Nick's eyes were blue, not black. I am sure that Via Lattea will come home with me as a memento of Nick even though it is another shelf eating model.


I'm on the fence about HD Darkness. It is a mold I really like and doesn't eat space, but his color appears rather orangey. In hand he may look different, so I'm not writing him off yet. (Orange is my favorite color, but I don't like orange toned models.)
Peanutine is cute as is his name, and he is a vintage mold. He's a strong possibility.


Count me among those who were hoping that the Old Timer mold would be used. It's vintage and still popular among collectors, plus it has a molded on bridle and harness that goes along with the theme. Surely Breyer will use it somewhere in it's lineup of BreyerFest offerings. Could it be the Stagecoach surprise?

Celebration Horse Bravour 54

He's a vintage mold (the Trakhener with a new tail) and he is quite similar to last year's celebration model, Nikolas.

Nikolas

That really surprised me. I know both pieces are modeled after real horses, but having a vintage mold used and a paint job so close to last year's celebration model was unexpected.
Araba

I like her color, but I do not collect this mold.


Speos has a gorgeous paint job. The richness and depth of that color is top notch. It's a brand new mold and not one I was interested in collecting, but Speos may change my mind.

Delft

Pretty color and I like the decal, but I don't collect Classics/Freedom Series. (Ask me again when I've had a chance to see this piece in hand!)


Jump & Drive

Another shelf eater, so not even considering this one. (I wish those blue eyes had been put on Via Lattea!)

Scurry

Cute; may pick up as a Christmas gift for one of the Pony Pals.



Wells

Beautiful color, but a tippy, shelf eating mold. I could change my mind on this one, though.



Four-in-Hand Stablemates

No Donovan, no Indian Pony or Fighting Stallion, so not buying this set.

There are still things to be announced (like the Best of Breyer Stablemate set which may have one of those three I am hoping for) and tickets go on sale next month. It's time to begin making plans for the event.

And I have been. Stay 'tooned.





5 comments:

  1. Thanks for showing all of the models in one place. Although there have been some nice models revealed, there's nothing that pushed me over the edge to (online) participate this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really hoping that Old Timer will be used! Maybe he'll be a LE?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. This is the first time I've seen them all together (and the first time I've seen some of them at all!). You're very good about publishing news for the hobby blogging world; thank you! Usually my choices are easy, but this year I have a feeling that's not going to be the case... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's easier to choose when you don't attend Breyerfest I think. I like the Emma mold but only have her in SM size and I love the Corbin and both should be affordable in the aftermath. Wells has a lot of highpoints despite being named for a bank with some of the dirtiest business practices known to man but Shannondells tend to be pricey 2nd hand. The Bristol is another I would love, but will I have the cash to shell for it? Probably not. I liked the idea of the Delft, but it's really fallen a bit flat, they could have gone so much farther with it, the way they did with Nemea, so if he comes really cheap he's a maybe. I love love love that they made a beautiful Standardbred mare, but I'm willing to wait for a good bay or liver chestnut regular run. She'd make an amazing Rosalind from Marguerite Henry's Born to Trot if they want to continue the tradition of models sold with her books and it's one that doesn't get the love it deserves. Given the driving theme I'm a little surprised it didn't get some recognition for Breyerfest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is a good one!

    ReplyDelete