“Not everyone knows everything, so collectors need to learn from each other.” Linda Walter
This month the model horse hobby lost another founder who leaves behind a very rich legacy. Linda Walter was one of the original pillars of the hobby. Along with Ellen Hitchens, Simone Smiljanic, and Marney Walerius these four women helped collectors around the country connect with each other in the pre-internet era.
Linda was born on November 5, 1947, four days after the death of the famous racehorse Man O’War, which she said may have something to do with her passion for horses. At age 18 months she ran away from home and was found 6 blocks away, following the milkman and his horse. She got her first model horse at age 6, and thus her extensive collection began.
She was friends with Simone, who published the first hobby newsletter, Pony Express, in 1966. When ill health caused Simone to step back in 1969, Linda filled the void with her newsletter, which grew exponentially as word of mouth spread its fame around the country. Her Model Horse Journal, later Model Horse Shower’s Journal, was a paper newsletter that she typed in her home using carbon paper to make multiple copies before graduating to a mimeograph machine. It was published until January 1980. The final issue was 700 copies, although Linda was sure that more than 700 people were reading and sharing it. When the time came to end MHSJ, Linda was warned that if she stopped printing the newsletter “the hobby will die!” She said it wouldn’t, and she was right!
Besides providing this publication which listed models for sale, model horse shows, and other information, many still recall Linda’s patient and helpful explanations. She became the person that Breyer referred new collectors to. People have shared fond memories of the assistance that Linda provided them as they learned about the hobby and the community at large.
When the hobby moved to the internet Linda stayed behind, true to her own lifestyle. She remained available via phone and snail mail and enjoyed the contacts with friends and other collectors. Of course, she attended BreyerFest, the model horse convention in Lexington, KY every July. There folks sought her out to reminisce about old times, share new information, or just enjoy the excitement she generated about her favorite topic, model horses.
Linda’s kindness, deep knowledge base, and modesty all made her a special woman who will be greatly missed. She was one of the visionaries who helped to launch the model horse hobby that has grown beyond all expectations. Thank you, Linda!
This is the most recent photo of Linda, taken at BreyerFest. She is on the left. Next to her (L to R) are model horse hobby folks Teresa Rogers, Nancy Falzone, and Jo Ellen Arnold.
Thanks, Nancy, for sharing about Linda. I will share a few things about Linda in an upcoming post, so stay 'tooned!








Can't tell you how incredibly sad I am to hear of Linda's passing.
ReplyDeleteLinda was such a major part of my life in the late 1970's-1980's! How I looked forward to receiving my MHSJ's every month! (I may have most of them stored away!)
I remember having my 1st repaint as a cover model at one time and my 1st version Beswick Appaloosa stallion is a grandson of her famous "Alconbury Hill"!
The last time I saw Linda was at the 2019 Breyerfest and I will treasure my photos and getting to know her forever!!
I knew when I met her at BreyerFest this year (2022) that we were lucky to cross paths again. I dropped in her room long enough to buy a book. I saw her sitting on the bench outside the Visitor Center and we chatted a bit. Now, for me, her spirit will forever hang around the entryway to that shrine of horsedom. What better place to honor a lifelong roots-of-the-model horse hobby person.
ReplyDeleteStill feeling sad to hear this. Linda's newsletter was a joy to read. I don't think anyone who didn't grow up with a typewriter can appreciate the amount of work she did. Before even the common use of IBM Selectric and Xerox! Gretchen Haskett
ReplyDeleteThey'd be stunned to know that there was no erasing with a typewriter, either, especially when you were using carbon paper. You typed it, it was there to stay in that case!
Delete