Apparently yesterday when I'd finished putting some notes down for today's blog entry, I accidentally posted it instead of saving it as a draft. I didn't come back to the blog until this morning and was dismayed to see it displayed in all its rough-draft glory.
So, what do I do now?
First of all, the teacher in me who used to tell her students to ALWAYS CHECK YOUR WORK is embarrassed because I didn't follow my own advice! But I can also laugh about it and will go ahead and finish that draft. So, here are a few of my personal recollections about Linda Walter.
For several decades, Linda Walter was the voice of the hobby. In the 1960s and 1970s, early hobbyists connected largely by snail mail. There was no internet, and to phone someone outside of your own town was costly; "long distance" fees were charged for every minute you were speaking with them. So, snail mail it was.
Linda was a prodigious writer, and she and I corresponded so much that I still have her address memorized. But it was her publication, The Model Horse Shower's Journal, that united hobbyists and allowed us to share our voices, knowledge, and friendship through that avenue. Getting your MHSJ in the mail was a very big deal - it was your opportunity to catch up with what was going on in the hobby, shop for new models, and get ideas for your own stable.
Linda not only wrote THE hobby publication; she also participated in showing, both live and photo. Show results were sometimes handwritten and below is an example of a key to the owners' initials that would be included with your results.
Linda's name is just below mine. (Other hobbyists' names on there who you may recognize are D'arry Frank and Cynthia Gardner. They are still active in the hobby.)
But Linda was famous for something else besides MHSJ. She owned the most notable model horse of the time, one that is still remembered today.
*Alconbury Hill.
Here is a link to a 2012 article about Linda and her collection from her hometown newspaper, the Troy Messenger:
And here is a link to a blog entry I wrote about her in 2019:
https://horsiemama.blogspot.com/2019/02/four-pillars-and-pair-of-wings-linda.html
Thanks, Linda. Your kindness, patience, and generosity will long be remembered. And your influence in the hobby that we love so much is still felt today, more than fifty years after you first started helping us connect.
You will be missed.



I didn't know Linda, but this is a lovely tribute.
ReplyDelete