Saturday, January 21, 2023

The Rest of the Minis Identified

Two of the remaining three mini horses were easy peasy to identify - they were what I'd been calling the entire batch that Catherine had given me - Breyer Mini Whinnies.


And nice little ones at that - the standing one had been displayed on a shelf in my sewing room because I liked it so much.

I knew these two were not Winner's Circle/Creatas - their body plastic was much harder and not nearly as rubbery as the others were. (Although the legs were more pliable and similar to the Winner's Circles'.) 

The two Mini Whinnies were not too difficult to identify - I simply went to Identify Your Breyer and began scrolling through the Mini Whinnies. I discovered that what I have is the Mini Whinny Cutting Stock Mare (the leopard Appaloosa) and the Standing QH Stallion in Appaloosa. 


Both pieces are from the Happy Appys set #7152 and were produced in 2012-2013. (Which means that Catherine could not have given these to me and that they snuck into my collection in a way that I do not remember.)


The final piece required some digging to figure it out. That and eyes that are FAR better than mine.


He was rubbery like the Winner's Circle pieces, but he was out of scale to them - and this was a foal; the adult horses would be even bigger.


There was some sort of name raised on its underside and that is where I struggled. I simply could not read it. I used a flashlight to improve the lighting, I did a pencil rubbing over it on a piece of paper, I used my glasses, I took my glasses off, and I even took photo after photo of it, trying to enlarge it so I could read that word.

Finally, I was able to catch the first letter, an E. Ertl! It had to be an Ertl! So I began Googling Ertl Foal.


One popped up on eBay that was identical to mine, but I still wanted more evidence that this was an Ertl as well as information on when it had been produced.


Another internet ad that I came across listed a date and number for it, if it could be believed. 


The foal and stallion (a Lady Phase look alike) were in their original box, so I felt confident that I had current information along with a correct identification. And, with the set dated at 1995, I am pretty sure this foal was also from Catherine.

Looking at those Mini Whinnies, both the ones in hand as well as those on IYB, has piqued my interest in them a bit. They are inexpensive and I'd just purchased some for the snow globes I made with the grands at Christmas. Plus, I do need some for a project I am working on (and will share at a later time) so there will be a few more coming here.

But, I do not collect Mini Whinnies.  (Famous last words, right?)



2 comments:

  1. I'd completely forgotten about those Ertl playsets! They were nice too, and all combinable to make giant farm sets including a big farmhouse. You inspired me to do a bit of digging myself, the set I was thinking of was the Pine Lodge British Riding School, a slightly bigger scale than Ertl but remarkably detailed. Sorry to post a link here but I was excited to find something so elusive and this was the only image I found of a complete set.
    https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/6262886973858644/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! I bought #2080 Young Rider when I was in England years ago.

    ReplyDelete