Thursday, January 19, 2023

Model Horse University

Never underestimate Kerri Gehrmann Johnson. 

As a 6th grader back in 1984, she set up a model horse club, one that is still active today. Her Great Lakes Breyer Registry, run from her parents' basement in St. Charles, Illinois, is now known as Great Lakes Congress, LLC. (For a full look at the club's history, click on this link.) Great Lakes Congress is the longest continually running model horse club in the world.

Kerri is again using her organizational talents to benefit the model horse community, and this time she has combined those talents with her teaching chops.

Model Horse University. 


Earlier this month, I got a message from her explaining her vision for her new project. Here are some bits and pieces about it:

- Model Horse University is being created as a central site for education about all aspects of the model horse hobby and is intended to be a place where we can grow, connect to one another, and inspire others.

- Found at the Model Horse University site will be educational content, registeration for in person and live-feed classes, and downloads of videos, slideshows, and other items. Also found there will be Zoom painting classes and get togethers, video tours of collections, self guided instructional videos, and downloads and slideshows on various hobby topics.

Quite a vision, isn't it? And if there is anyone who can get this project off the ground, it's Kerri. 


Kerri and me chatting over the show table at a GLC show last year.

You can find Model Horse University on Facebook here. Not on Facebook? The website is not yet up and running, but the target date is sometime in February so check back then. 


Kerri displaying an early Great Lakes Breyer Registry show ribbon on her shoulder. 

If you'd like to participate in some way as a teacher or donor but don't know how to contact Kerri, email me at horsiemama8@gmail.com and I will pass your message on to her.

Best of luck, Kerri! I am thrilled that you are using your talents to once again benefit our hobby and I can't wait to start using Model Horse University.



4 comments:

  1. Oh oh oh! Me me me! I'd love to join (not a Facebooker tho. And I don't think my mom would agree, but this could totally kickstart the part of the hobby I want to join for me.) Go Kerri! This is soooooo cool! From C (also know as AC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tack making and painting with airbrushes(I have one) and pastels is what I want to learn. Also prop making. I'm going to show this to my mom when the website is officially up. Hey, Lynn, do you know if it's free?

      Delete
  2. While at the moment, it is starting on Facebook, there is a web page under construction that is scheduled to go live in February. As for if it's free, I believe it is but that some classes that will be available may have a nominal fee.

    ReplyDelete