I have decided that I will go ahead and write about this past Christmas - while James' passing was incredibly sad for us, we did have many moments of joy. If you don't care to read about it, just come back in a few days and the blog will be back to usual.
Due to the tremendous winter storm that was blowing across the United States, our kids all decided to leave their homes a day early to beat that storm to our home. In retrospect, this turned out to be a very good idea.
Jessica and her family had the farthest to go, coming all the way from Santaquin, Utah and through the Rocky Mountains and then across the high plans of the West on 80. They left on Tuesday and drove into the wee hours of Wednesday morning when they pulled into Sarah's home in Iowa City and crashed for a few hours.
The storm was barreling down behind them, so they only slept a few hours, and then they piled into cars and continued on to Indiana. Jessica, Andrew, Todd, and Sarah went in one car so that Jessie and Andrew could continue to sleep,
while JC and Trinity, both university students who were home on break, drove the "cousins car"
where Cambria
and Titan caught some shut eye, too.
Aside from a stop for lunch in Peoria, Illinois, the two families kept moving and made it here before the weather turned nasty.
Craig and I had worked hard to prepare for everyone - Cambria and Titan would be sleeping on air mattresses in my office/horse room,
Sarah and Todd in my sewing room,
Jessie and Andrew in Craig's library,
and last but not least, JC had the bed in Craig's office all to himself. (Trinity was staying in her Aunt Lisa's spare bedroom across town.)
I would be even more grateful for that when I got a phone call at 6:30 the next morning from Lisa.
Another post will drop around 10:00 EST.
I am glad you found moments of joy in your holiday, Lynn!
ReplyDelete