Saturday, January 28, 2023

Where's Abby?

Wondering where Abby is? I haven't written about her much recently for several reasons - weather, James' passing, and some health issues on my part. But she's fine; even if I don't get out to check her daily, Tim does, so I don't worry about her when I can't get there.

Yesterday, despite a heavy snowstorm earlier this week, I decided to go see her. Often in the winter I drive around the northeast and northwest pastures as I approach the barn.


That gives me some idea as to where the horses are and if I can get to them - always a consideration for me in the winter. Yesterday when I braved the roads, the heavy snow had been plowed or melted, but there was still ice left behind to negotiate.


The hay rack is in the northwest pasture and I couldn't see any horses there, so I knew they were probably in the barn. If that was the case, then seeing Abby would depend on the states of the gravel lane going back to the property entrance and then the second lane back up to the new barn.


I got stopped at the first lane - a visit with Abby was not going to happen. I do not have four wheel drive, and I knew from experience that getting up the hill to the new barn, if it was icy like the property lane was, would be difficult and with a good chance that I'd get stuck.

Drat! I pulled back onto the country road and headed back home.

I may try again today, but we had more snow yesterday and expect some this afternoon, too. It may be more than a couple of days before I see my girl.

I miss her!




2 comments:

  1. Lynn
    I was wondering if you got any snow in your area ! Did they say how many total inches??
    In our area (where your sister lives), the snowfall was a *joke*! After the weather people warned us all week about receiving anywhere from 4 to 10 inches --and after most of the schools and businesses took heed and *closed*, on the day the storm was "supposed" to arrive, it mostly *rained* and I believe that we received less than 2 inches of the wet slushie stuff!! Welllll-okie dokey then!!
    I'm not sure how many inches they said that the surrounding counties received (but it wasn't the predicted amount!) Even in your pictures, it doesn't look like the snow is very deep(they *did* say "heavy wet snow" tho!)
    Hopefully, the weather will warm up enough again so you can go and see Abby! Be careful in your travels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops--one more comment! What's your bet that Allison P. was out doing her famous "snow dance"??!!(tee hee!)

    ReplyDelete