Sunday, February 12, 2023

Indiana, a Hotbed of Showing: 1990s Youth Shows

Live showing with your kids is a lot of fun - there is nothing like having a shared activity that you both enjoy. And when my kids were young, often they would tag along with me to a show.

Music City Son Cole at Midwest Classic, August, 1994

Many of the Indianapolis area showers had kids, and so there was often a Youth Show held as part of the show. My kids would pick some models out of my collection,


think up names for them and create tags for their entries,

and off we'd all go to Indiana for the show. (We lived in Illinois at the time as Craig was teaching at the University of Illinois.)


Mountain Mama Jessica and Teacher Daughter Lisa at a show - I think this was Pat Reed's Indy Con.

I've held onto these show tags for years - they are mementos of some really good times with my children.


Cole getting a tip from a judge. This may be Midwest Model Mania. That's Debbie Moore on the far right. The judge might be Wendy Galbreath.

Youth shows were not uncommon back then in the hobby. Wisconsin used to have a show called Badgerland and it, too, had a show for kids.

Julie Poremba Propes and I once drove up to that show, and Lisa (kneeling on left) came along and participated in the youth show.

Sadly, youth shows faded away. The only one now that I am aware of is Great Lakes Congress - they have six shows a year and each one has a youth show component. 

A GLC youth show participant. (Photo taken and used with permission.)

It doesn't get many entrants, but it is an excellent starting place for kids who want to learn about horses and/or how to begin live showing model horses.

Adding a youth show to a live show has pros and cons, and I can see both sides of the coin. In my dreams, I'd add some sort of youth component to NAMHSA that would encourage youth showers. That would be a massive undertaking, and a challenge I cannot take on right now. But I can throw the idea out there and get people thinking about it. 

I'll keep thinking, too.

Another Indiana show tomorrow! Stay 'tooned!





1 comment:

  1. Loved when my daughter was young and went to shows with me. Such special times! So great you have these pictures to remember those good times!

    ReplyDelete