Sunday, February 5, 2023

Indiana - a Hotbed of Showing?

Yesterday I was checking out the NAMHSA Region 8 news on Facebook and a new show listing in Indiana caught my eye. Another new show? How wonderful!

Indiana used to have a lot of shows throughout the year. Back in the 1990s there was a very active group of hobbyists around the Indianapolis area who held shows frequently, but as time went by, life situations changed, people moved away, expenses went up, and live show options in Indiana dwindled.

That's understandable. Putting on a live show is a lot of work. I have put on at least ten myself in Indiana and Illinois (FAMulous, Happy Trails, Lincoln Land Live, Central Illinois All Halter Live, and some youth shows), and I still plan to put on a few more. But it is time consuming and risky - sometimes you do not break even and lose money.


Julie Poremba Propes judging Central Illinois All Halter Live in 1993. (Urbana, Illinois)



Karen Beeson also judged there.

Normally by February I have a schedule of shows I plan to attend for the year in my calendar, but not this year. What with James' death and then these pesky health issues, I am only now beginning to look at show lists.


Kathy Bateman, co-hostess of Lincoln Land Live, with the awards for the show. Urbana, Illinois. 1995)

Unfortunately, many of the shows I'd like to attend are already closed for entries, but I can always go to watch and socialize with friends.



Tiffany Purdy found one of those Lincoln Land Live Rosettes last year at a GLC show.


and thoughtfully gave it to me. 


For today's blog post, I thought that I would write a little bit about each of the upcoming shows here in Indiana, but as I started to dig in, I realized that this was not a one-day blog post sort of project. It's going to take some time to research and write.



The header for the first Happy Trails. Originally it was planned to be a one-time pony party to celebrate my retirement from teaching but it has become an annual thing.


Happy Trails IV, loading a class on my kitchen island. From left: Jamie Rott, Allison Pareis, Kelsey Kramer (barn buddy!!), Liz Cory, and Yvonne Rott.

I see two blog series running concurrently, depending on how my research is going - one about the new and not so new shows held here in Indiana, 



Veteran hobbyist Michele Evans at FAMulous - she's from the earliest days of the hobby and one who could always be found at the 1990s Indianapolis shows. 


and the other a historical one about those shows that I have held.


The Lincoln Land Live All Youth Show held in my kitchen in March, 1994. (Urbana, Illinois.) That's me in the red, white, and blue cowgirl shirt and Music City Son Cole (aged six) next to me. Teacher Daughter Lisa took the photo. 

(LOL I just noticed something! Scroll up to the Happy Trails show photo, taken 27 years later and that is the same kitchen table!)

This may take a good portion of February as there are about 15 - 18 shows I'd like to write about. I'm kind of excited!

Stay 'tooned!




No comments:

Post a Comment