Friday, January 8, 2021

Mark, Millie, and Me

Mark Twain once wrote,  "The report my death was an exaggeration" when his obituary was posted before he had actually died. Well, I could write the same thing now only I'd change a word or two. "The news of Millie's death was incorrectly posted." 

Here's what happened: Often I write blog posts in advance and schedule them to post on certain dates. That was the case with the news of Millie's passing. She has been ill since right after Christmas, spending three days in a vet hospital down in Indianapolis, then coming home where she began struggling again a day or two later.

The day I wrote about Millie's passing, Teacher Daughter Lisa had had to go into her classroom and record some lessons for virtual teaching. She asked me to stay with Millie at her home until she could get back. Lisa had made a vet appointment for that afternoon where (we thought) Millie would be euthanized. 

That post was scheduled to go live Wednesday. Wednesday rolled around and Millie was still with us - the vet had suggested we try a new medicine and give Millie 24 hours and see how she did. I debated taking the blog entry down, but we had another vet appointment for later that day with the expectation (again) that she would be euthanized.

But Millie continued to improve. So much so that the vet suggested we keep on treating Millie, give her another twenty-four hours, and then bring her back for a check.

Millie, me, and Molly at Teacher Daughter Lisa's home.

That check was last night and Millie was even better. I saw her after that appointment and she looked like a different dog. Her eyes were bright and she was much stronger physically and showing interest in what was going on around her. So, as long as this rally continues and Millie is happy and not hurting or struggling, Lisa will not euthanize her. 

I don't know how much time we have left with this sweet doggie, but I plan to enjoy every moment of it. And the next time I post that Millie has passed, you can count on it not having been "greatly exaggerated." 




2 comments:

  1. Awwww, what wonderful news! She looks so happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This takes my breath away. I feel like I tripped,... but it's good news. So glad to hear it.

    ReplyDelete