Saturday, January 9, 2021

Mystery Pin

Yesterday my sister Leslie contacted me about a donation the Tippecanoe Historical Society had received. She sent me some photos and asked if I could identify a bridle rosette that they had been given.


Someone suggested that it could be from the National Horse Thief Detective Association. (Apparently that was an actual, early 20th century organization). 


I can read some of the lettering on the back: WHITEHEAD ?? CAG CO NEWARK N.J.

The historical association is calling it a bridle rosette, but it does not look like any bridle rosette that I've ever seen.


Of course, I can't resist THAT opening to post a few photos of my own bridle rosettes!


The ones I have are bigger and much heavier than the one the historical society has in its possession.


And their backs have narrow bar so you can slide them along the cheek pieces of the bridle and up to the browband. This back does not look a thing like the ones on my bridle rosettes.


If you can shed some light on what this is and what NHTD stands for, please email me at horsiemama@gmail.com. I'd like to help out my sister and the historical association, and I am personally intrigued as well!



No comments:

Post a Comment