First Post of the Day
Today's challenge photo was easy peasy - the first model in my collection. I already had lots of pictures taken of my sweet Brownie.
Santa gave him to me in 1963. I was six years old and Santa had no idea (s)he had just started a collection that would span a lifetime and number in the thousands.
Brownie is what collectors call a Japan china. And while he was beloved (and still is), in the hands of a six year old the breaks came easily.
All those breaks were lovingly fixed by my father using the yellow drippy glue from his workbench. Each of those gloppy lines is a reminder to me of how patient and loving my dad was as he fixed Brownie again and again without complaint.
I memorialized Brownie the following Christmas in a crayon drawing of receiving him on that Christmas Day. That's me holding him and my have-glue-will-fix-him-sweetie dad sitting in the chair.
A poignant childhood memory of Brownie is from when I was sick with either the mumps or measles. (I had mumps, measles, and then chicken pox all in the space of six weeks.) I may have been young, but the memories are very, very strong because I was so sick. I remember lying in bed, not wanting to move, and holding Brownie in my arms as I lay there.
Several years ago I received a second Brownie from Heather McCurdy at a Great Lakes Congress show.
Tomorrow's prompt is "A model from/because of a friend." I may let New Brownie cover tomorrow, too. We shall see.
Stay 'tooned!




No comments:
Post a Comment