Friday, September 29, 2023

A Morning in the 18th Century

My feet hurt. I'm tired and I could use a nap. But that morning with 130+ 4th graders was worth it. Teacher Daughter Lisa and I had a great time sharing what we knew.


But often the teachers learn, too. When I was talking about hat pins and how they held your hat in place, a Muslim girl wearing a hijab raised her hand and showed us all the "hat pins" she had holding her scarf in place on her head! It was a great connection showing how something from one century can connect to another!


I brought clothing as well as artifacts for the kids to look at and even try.


This young voyageur-to-be swam in his shirt and toque, but give him a few years and he will be paddling down the Wabash with the rest of them.


Even the teachers were willing to try on the clothing.

 
Meanwhile Lisa was teaching in her own classroom with a different set of artifacts to present. Mine were European, but hers were mostly from the Indigenous peoples that lived in this area. (Shawnee, Potowatami, Wea, Miami, and several more.)


Aren't these round balls interesting? How did they get them to be so round?


Yesterday I mentioned King's rope. This is a sample of it from one of the rope makers out at The Feast. See that red thread running through it?


That was woven in to prevent theft - only the King had red threads in his rope. So, if you were caught with rope like that, it was assumed you had stolen it from him and you were in serious trouble.


The morning flew by but my morning wasn't quite done - next, I had to run out to the Battle of Tippecanoe Museum and pick up some very special Feast mugs.

Stay 'tooned!








No comments:

Post a Comment