Friday, September 15, 2023

Halloween Horses are Here

There are things I like about Halloween and things I absolutely DO NOT. I dislike the macabre side with zombies, ghouls, and gore, but I do enjoy the more innocent side of it with pumpkins, falling leaves, and chilly weather.

I also enjoy most of the Halloween horses that Breyer has put out. (Cryptic is my all time favorite. So well executed!)

Thanks to Shannon Call, I got the two Spooky Stablemates I missed out on when Breyer's Halloween web store had issues. I came back several times to place my order, but the Stablemates sold out before I could get any. Shannon kindly sold me two of hers.

I especially wanted Cornelius. Not that I am a fan of mules or candy corn,


but my favorite blog post that I ever wrote was a Dr. Seuss parody 


that involved Jennifer Buxton's candy corn challenge and Abby.


So, I really wanted Cornelius to go along with that. (I'll repost that blog entry as Halloween gets closer.)


I wanted Mini Nevermore because of the connection to Edgar Allen Poe.


I taught Classic Literature as part of my curriculum and while I did not teach Poe's poems in my classroom (too scary for that age level) most of the kids knew who he was and so he came up quite often in October.


Any time Breyer connects with Classic Literature through a model, I try to get it for my collection.


I was on the fence about Slither and put him in and out of my shopping cart multiple times.


I do not like the mold, but the color and the pattern on him is really cool. (I don't care for the mane at all, but I love how you can see a snake wrapped around it!)


Unfortunately, my Slither has more than a few flaws. Look at that raised foreleg.


See the hair on his fetlock? It's embedded under the gloss.


There is extra plastic between his ears and a gouge out of his ear (on the right in this photo.)

There are random black spots (two in this photo) scattered around.

It's not the end of the world, but it is disappointing, enough so that I wish I had not put him in my cart that last time and bought him.

I have many more new models to share, but I haven't opened any boxes for quite some time. They are stacked here in my office, some all the way back from last May, and it is time to get them out and onto the shelves.

Stay 'tooned!



6 comments:

  1. How wild is it that if you weren't one of those who received several of the Cornelius mules in your order(depending on how many accounts you have), then the next combination seems to be the mini "Nevermore/Cornelius " one! At this point, it looks as if the mini "Apparition " is going to be the hardest (and most expensive) one to find!
    What is wrong with "Malik"?? (Can you really dislike a model because of its hairdo?) I like him myself--but recently seem to notice that his right(?) hindleg seems longer than the others(maybe needs to shortened??)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not get any Halloween stablemates - I was ordering when they first became available and the web site listed them as coming soon. Shannon Call kindly sold me two of her extras.

      As for what is wrong with Malik, because I have no wish to hurt an artist's feelings (some of whom read my blog), if I am talking about a model I do not care for, I simply state it that way rather than go into details. :)

      Delete
  2. Hmmm-must be the only one who didn't care for the mini "Cornelius "! I only wanted the mini "Nevermore" and the mini "Apparition ". Oh well--I did get "Nevermore"--so one outta 2 isn't bad, I suppose! Surprised that I like her as I'm usually not into holiday themed models. Heres a question for you--why does Breyer only do Halloween/Christmas models?? Why not Thanksgiving and New Year's?? They have the models and they shown us that they can do intricate colors so--why not??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good question. My guess is that those are holidays that would not sell as well as Halloween and Christmas. Personally, I'd love an annual New Year's horse!

      Delete
  3. I'm not really a mule person but I adore Cornelius. Since I can't stand the random nature of blind bags, I didn't buy any.

    And as for me, I'm finding that I totally can dislike a model because of its hairdo, especially Malik. (sorry to those that like/love him.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Breyer has done models that could be interpreted as for Fourth of July (for example, Esprit/Old Glory and Ethereal/Anthem) and for New Year's (Ethereal/Times Square). But if you really want a holiday-centric model, go to Peter Stone, who has done them to death. Possibly the paucity of holiday models is a way for Breyer to distinguish itself from Stone.

    ReplyDelete