There isn't much of a market for Curio sized haversacks. Most people prefer Traditional or Extra Long Traditional (XLT) sized ones.
But I do get asked occasionally if I carry haversacks for Curios, so I try to keep some on hand. As I took inventory for the Great Lakes Congress show next month, I discovered that I was low in stock for that size and made some. (I'm sewing both 18th century clothes and haversacks simultaneously.)
Here are the four I have completed thus far.
I love circus horses and orange is my favorite color, so this fabric was win/win for me.
In fact, I once made myself a deluxe XLT out of this fabric with a satin lining and quilt batting for padding, just for fun.
It turned out really nice, but I won't be making those to sell - I'd have to charge too much just to recoup the cost of the supplies to make it.
This corgi/horse fabric has been very popular in other sizes
so I thought I'd see how it sold in Curio size.
If it doesn't sell, I'll donate to a show or keep it for myself.
Pink zebras! Occasionally I receive a message from a customer to tell me that I made a mistake and that the fabric is sideways as it is on this haversack.
I explain that it was a conscious and deliberate choice on my part. When I have remnants left over from other projects that are big enough for a haversack, I can't see throwing that fabric away just because the print will be sideways when used.
That's wasteful and adds to what goes into landfills.
Understanding the "why" behind the sideways print generally mollifies the person who contacted me about it.
With these done along with the Stablemate sized ones I have also made, I am moving on to stitching up some Classic sized haversacks. I'll show some of those when they are finished.
Stay 'tooned!
No comments:
Post a Comment