Sunday, September 3, 2023

Forelock Styling and a Brave Boy Sings

I love late summer/early fall evenings at the barn. (All pony pics from Barn Buddy Kelsey.) 


The day is cooling down, crickets are chirping, and there is a lovely glow as the sun sets, turning the sky shades of pink and orange. I stand at the gate listening to the sounds of the horses munching and moving through the grass and feel happy and content. It's an idyllic time of day.


Two Socks got a new 'do on  one of those lovely evenings recently. Kelsey was scratching her forehead and this was the end result. 


Compare that to poor Abby's forelock - it's all short and tufty thanks to someone who enjoys chewing it off. (By process of elimination, I think it's Hokey. It continued after Trouble and Diablo were sold, and it was going on long before Sultanna was foaled. Only horse left that it could be is Hokey!)

Having her forelock turned under exposes Two Sock's forehead marking and makes it easier to determine it's her. Sultanna is a bit heavier than her yearling daughter, but she has a different star and that helps identify her from her daughter.

Now, moving on from hair to eyes. I thought this might bring a smile to your face. It sure did to mine. Take a look at this picture of the children's choir from Church last Sunday. Quite a variety of faces, right? 


A couple of kids (including Pony Pal Mila) singing, a boy looking a bit bored, chin resting in hand, while another is either yawning or really belting it out (I'm thinking it's a yawn), then a girl who looks like she's glaring while the boy in front of her seems distracted by something...


And then there's Cowpoke Lukie, singing with his eyes closed. 


For. The. Entire. Song! You could hear ripples of subdued laughter breaking out throughout the congregation, and especially from our pew where Lukie's family, Teacher Daughter Lisa, Craig, and I were all sitting together.

Why was Lukie singing like that? As he later said, his eyes were watering. Alrighty then! Perhaps if mine were watering, I would close my eyes while I sang, too! 


Whatever the reason for his closed eyes, he did sing the entire song and then happily returned to our pew, eyes wide open and not a tear in sight.

Personally, I suspect he wanted to sing but was nervous, and so he bravely sang with his eyes closed so he did not have to look at all the people who were listening. Regardless, it made for a very memorable Church service!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment