Friday, September 1, 2023

Scrambling for Molly

I am scrambling - I have The Feast of the Hunters' Moon and the October Great Lakes Congress show fast approaching, both of which require some major sewing time. Then a video project with a deadline of October 1, Gus to dogsit this weekend while Curt and his family travel, and three transcribing jobs to finish.

Is it any wonder I'm not sleeping well right now?

I'd cleared the day yesterday so I could sew without interruption. And then I got a call from Teacher Daughter Lisa just as I was getting started. I could hear the concern in her voice as she asked me to take Molly to the vet that morning.

Molly's eyes had begun weeping with some bare skin swelling up under her tear ducts. She had some black crusty matter in the hair of her muzzle, and a rounded lump under her chin, also black and crusty to the touch.

Of course I said I would. Molly and Nash had spent the previous day with us and I had noticed Molly's eyes and skin then and had been concerned. I was glad Molly was going to have it looked at. But...


Molly is not an easy dog to take to the vet. She spent the first four years of her life as a puppy mill mama and was emotionally scarred when she was rescued. She literally was terrified of everything, preferring to spend her time huddled in a corner which made her feel safe. 


Molly with three of Kyle's daughters, Cory, Whitney, and Melissa, earlier this summer. 

It's taken five years and she has blossomed under Lisa's care. Being petted by people she doesn't know well is still frightening to her, but she accepts it without panicking and bolting. She has come a looong way in five years, but going to the vet is still an ordeal for her.


I drove across town and picked the two dogs up and brought them to my home. Then, leaving Nash with Craig, I took Molly and Pepper to the vet. (Pepper acting as a comfort dog for Molly.)

The vet appointment went unexpectedly well. I did not have to coax or carry Molly into the building; she followed right after Pepper. We struggled a bit to get her into the exam room, but once she was in, she sat in a corner, a place she always feels safe. The vet and tech spoke softly, moved slowly, and sat on the floor to look at her face. She was scared, but she was not terrified. We got a diagnosis, some antibiotics, and went home, much sooner than we would have in the past.

And with that, the morning was gone. Several hours of lost sewing time. And because she was unsettled by the events of the morning, we decided to keep Molly and Nash with us until school was out and Lisa could come pick them up.

A typical scene. Me sitting at my desk (or sewing machine) trying to work and the dogs come visiting and wanting attention. (Not that I mind their company.)

I ended up being unable to sew until late in the afternoon when Lisa dropped by and picked Molly and Nashie up. 

So now it's Friday, and I have several things I cannot clear off my schedule that will prevent me from sewing. But, I have no regrets of losing the day for sweet Molly. I'll squeeze in sewing time, transcribing time, and videotaping time somehow in the coming days.

Will I still be stressed and not sleeping well? Sure. But it is all worth it for a very sweet dog who has been through a lot and still leans her head on my leg or licks my hand.



 

3 comments:

  1. The last photo says it all (and brought tears to my eyes).
    You're a good fur-baby gramma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does mine, too. From that same series of pictures, I have one where her head is in my hand and she's hooked my leg with her paw. Such a sweet girl. How could anyone treat dogs as badly as she was?

      Delete