Monday, September 18, 2023

Need a Saddle?

Ever look at a saddle and wonder about its history? Where it's been, who's ridden in it, or where it came from? I sure did when Leslie texted me these photos.

She was offering her antique 1900 high back western saddle for sale.

Talk about a little slice of history - wow!


 I knew Tim would be interested in it, so I texted the pictures on to him. An answer came back quickly. Sold!

She also was selling a cut back flat saddle that she'd used for her gelding, Steamboat Willie.


Willie has been gone for 25 years or so and the saddle has not been used since then.


 With a good cleaning and a replacement of the stirrup leathers,


Leslie felt that Willie's saddle was still usable.

Tim wasn't interested in it and neither am I, so she is going to offer it elsewhere.

I am still waiting for her to decide to sell her sidesaddle. When she does, I plan to grab it. But saddles that you've ridden much loved horses in can be very hard to part with. I get that. That's why two of my saddles are in the tack room at the barn even though I have never used them on Abby.

So I will continue to wait. But when she is ready, I will add that side saddle to my personal collection of saddles. 




No comments:

Post a Comment